Skip to main content

Operation Kindergarten Readiness


I saw this on the internet, 71?  Really?  I was too scared to click on the link.  Pray for me, Ellamae is going to kindergarten this fall.  She is my fourth child to make this transition, so you'd think I'd be a pro at it by now.  Not so much.  In the spring, she went to a kindergarten assessment where they went over basic reading and math skills.  After the assessment the teacher gave us her summer packet and gently let me know that she was behind in her letter recognition skills, very behind.

Pause for a moment of intense internal panic followed by a healthy dose of mom guilt.

The teacher recommended a video that would help her learn her letters in a fun way which I bought from my phone while I was still in the parking lot of the school in digital and DVD format.  Then, I called her Dad in the middle of his work day to tell him what the teacher said and I sent him a link to the video so he could purchase it and download it (immediately) to his devices for her to watch during her weekends with him.  When I got home, which is about four minutes from the school, I ordered not one, not two, but six kindergarten readiness workbooks, a letter tracing workbook, erasable write on alphabet flashcards, an alphabet card game, and an alphabet puzzle.  Within ten minutes of learning that Ellamae was behind in letters, a plan of action was in place and ready to commence in a guaranteed two days thanks to Amazon Prime. 

Operation Kindergarten Readiness is a go.  Roger that.

Turns out the video was awful.  To call it a painful hour and a half of letter teaching torture is not an exaggeration, if anything, it's a gross understatement.  I had to turn it off a little over halfway through to save both Ellamae's and my own sanity.  She likes doing her workbooks and the idea of having her own "homework" like the big kids.  But she doesn't really like the letter pages as much as she enjoys the pre-writing and math activities.  Absolutely zero interest in the write on flashcards, which I thought she would enjoy just for the dry erase marker alone.  And the puzzle, meh.  She'll do it, if I make her, but Flower Tower and Moana are still her puzzles of choice. 

Mayday, mayday, we're going down!  Abort mission, I repeat, abort mission!

It is true, if you lined up 100 kindergarteners and charted their abilities on a bell curve, Ellamae would be to the left of the standard deviation, apparently, to the far left.  But therein lies the problem.  Even at 5 years old, and probably even earlier if we're honest with ourselves, we are teaching our kids to measure their own worth in comparison to others.  And it's such a damaging practice.  Comparing ourselves to others can lead to feelings of inadequacy and discontent.  It distracts us from celebrating the beauty of our own lives because we are constantly looking at others and how they're living their lives, or more accurately, our perception of how they're living their lives.

Just think about how voyeuristic social media can be. We spend so much time looking at how others are presenting their lives to be which in turn creates a need for us to take an everyday moment and glamorize it to post on social media - ummmmm, guilty as charged.  Yesterday I posted a picture of Ellamae and I having smoothies at Smoothie King.  It took three tries to get a picture of her simultaneously smiling and looking at the camera, with the Smoothie King logo on her cup showing just enough so people were sure to see where we were, but angled enough so it didn't look contrived.  Yup.  That's my version of people who arrange their coffee mugs and books just so with the caption "peaceful morning", or toe pictures at the beach because no matter what our body shape, toes with nail polish are always cute, and even cuter with sunshine and blue waters in the background.  We all know the tricks to make our ordinary lives social media worthy.  And all that pretending and comparing just keeps spinning on and on, perpetuating the practice of finding our self-worth in relation to others.

So what if during the summer before her kindergarten year she doesn't know as many letters as her cohorts?  She is a smart kid.  I've seen it.  And I know she will learn this year, and the next, and the next.  Does she have way too much screen time?  A resounding yes.  Did I spend as much time with her working on her letters as I could have?  No.  We spent our time playing with Barbies and Shopkins and Calico Critters and watching The Nightmare Before Christmas ad nauseum.  Was she happy in those moments, did she feel loved and know that her version of quality time was important to me?  Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt.  Was that worth a few points to the left on the bell curve?  I am trusting my mom instincts that it was. 

Seven years ago when Lauren was getting ready for Kindergarten, I wrote a post and nowhere in it did I mention kindergarten readiness, pre-reading skills, or letter recognition.  I think it's because she didn't have a kindergarten assessment and I didn't know where she stood in comparison to her peers.  Instead of worrying, or creating kindergarten boot camp for her, we spent our last days of just Mom and Lauren going to the local coffee shop every Wednesday for pink iced S cookies.  Fast forward to Ellamae's last few days before her school career, and I almost let the comparison to her peers rob of us of that special time when it's just the two of us and she still sees me as the center of her world.  These are precious moments, and I almost passed them by.                   

I don't know how her cohorts are spending their summers.  But as for us, when she wants to do her "homework", we do.  And when she's done, we're done.  And when she wants to go to the pool, we go.   And when she wants to snuggle, boy, do we snuggle.

Operation Love that Kid for Who She Is in full effect.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grace

Dear Grace, Happy 12th birthday!!!  I know I usually write a list of reasons telling you why I love you on your birthday, but as you approach your twelfth year I can't help but notice how independent you are becoming.  Time is flying by and before I know it, you will be a young woman. So here we are... I'm trying to step back and let you stretch your wings more and you're busy going about the business of becoming the beautiful young woman I know you will be.  How I wish I could freeze this moment in time and keep you my little girl forever. But time doesn't listen to the pleadings of a mother's heart and keeps marching on.  So this year, I want to do something different.  I want to make you a list of 12 things I hope you will always remember and keep in your heart as your journey through life continues. 1.   I love you, forever and always.   You are my joy and no matter what, I will always love you. 2.   You are enough.   There may be times in life w

Dear Kind Friend

I struggle with depression.  To the point that two years ago I was hospitalized three times in the span of six months, each admission lasting 10-14 days.  That was when my depression was untreated and at its worst.  It was so debilitating that I had to take a year off of work just to get my feet grounded and start functioning again. Two years later, I have come so far, but I'm still learning how to live with this.  At this time in my journey I have to be intentional about staying present in the moment, disciplining my thoughts, and making healthy mental and spiritual choices - each and every day. One of the hardest things about depression is trying to reach through that thick cloud of despair to find my strongest self and summon her forth.  If even a tiny piece of her had a voice, this is what she would've said to you.  This is how she would have asked for help.  To my tribe that has endlessly stood by my side through it all, thank you for listening to her when I had no word

The Monster in My Basement

I want to tell my story.  I need to tell my story.  To speak it aloud and release the shame and regret I feel.  To absolve myself of the responsibility I have taken for other's actions.  To learn how to live with my past decisions.  To discover how my past is a part of me and shaping me, not ruining me.  Because even though I am moving forward, I feel stuck. When my kids were growing up, I would read them this book where a boy saw a monster in the basement.  His mother was busy in the garden and didn't believe him, so he tackled the monster himself.  At first the monster was a looming presence, but with each swipe of a broom and words of bravery, the monster shrunk.  And shrunk, until it was just a tiny little guy, no bigger than the size of a mouse.  The monster, realizing he could no longer scare the boy, ran away and the boy had nothing left to fear.  My story is my monster.  And speaking it aloud is how I face it, shrink it, until there is nothing left to fear from it.  N

What if...

I just took all three of my kids for their annual physical and there's nothing like a plot on a growth chart to remind me of how fast they are growing.  Time just keeps marching on, and at my urging, all those vegetable and fruits they consume are doing their job.  They are growing.  Sometimes it feels as if these days of their childhood are just slipping through my fingers, like grains of sand that I can't keep from finding their way through the cracks in my hands. My middle daughter is having a hard time.  She's going to make it, I know she will.  She's tough and she's loved - it's just the getting through it that's hard.  Tonight she asked me to lay with her until she fell asleep and I found myself staring at her;  all 46 inches of her curled up next to me, chest rising and falling in a deep fresh air induced sleep, skin bronzed and kissed by the sun.  She was the picture of childhood and summer days.  She even smelled like the sun and the pool and a fr

Be Amazing, Fantastically Amazing

I am an amazing Mom.  Not pretty amazing, more along the lines of fantastically amazing.  My house is a mess.  There is dog hair everywhere and toys in - Every. Single. Room.  Laundry is done on a strictly need-to-do basis only.  Four kids later, I'm rockin' the "Mom Bod" hard core.  I co-sleep with my 4 year old, and have no plans of stopping any time soon, just don't have the fight in me at the end of the day.  I won't drop her afternoon nap because I need one too.  When I come home from working a midnight shift, I put on cartoons and give the 4 year old my phone and let her go nuts for 2-3 hours while I sleep on the couch.  Because of my work/sleep schedule, I rarely volunteer in my kids' classrooms.  I don't buy them brand name clothes, I'm too cheap.  I haven't taken a family portrait since the baby was born (she's the 4 year old), so I only have three of my four kids immortalized in a professional photo.  My go-to meal is frozen chick

Pandemic Thoughts from a 14 Year Old

I have wanted to write about this pandemic for some time now.  But I can't find the words.  They elude me and I can't put together my thoughts and feelings.  From day to day, I vacillate between fear and hope and a gamut of feelings in between.  My focus has been on my job as a nurse, making sure my kids are emotionally nurtured, and protecting those I love by doing what I can to make it possible for them to stay home and out of danger.  I'm too scared to focus on more than that.  But this morning, my daughter Grace shared this journal entry she had written for a social studies project she's working on.  And once again, I found myself at a loss for words.  She succinctly captured this crazy, turned upside down time with a simplicity and clarity that cut through the extraneous and hit right at the heart of it all.  An authentic uncensored mix of grief, anger, frustration, compassion and hope from the heart of a 14 year old girl. I'll let her words speak to you -

Grace

My little girl is so sad.  Deep, from the gut, sad.  She is always missing someone.  In the moment, it is whoever isn't there - either Mom or Dad.  But really, I think she misses the family we once were.  The wholeness of the unit.  The complete picture. "Can you find a picture of 'The Five of Us'?" To keep under your pillow next to your baby album full of pictures of your Dad and I beaming as we stare in wonder at the miracle of you, beautiful you? Sure, baby. Of course. I can see the memories of "us" beginning to fade and slip through her fingers.  Like the image of a loved ones' face starting to fade with time... And no matter how tight you squeeze your eyes shut and ball up your fists, you just can't make your brain recall the image in focus.  And all you're left with is a fuzzy blur that seems more like a feeling than a memory leaving you wondering - was it ever real? "Mom, did you ever come to the cabin with us?  Have you ev

Bird Tattoo

I got a tattoo.  A huge tattoo.  It was about as impulsive as I get, which means - I let it percolate in the back of my mind for about a year, then researched it for about a month, then made an appointment with the tattoo guy - and impulsively (ahhh, that's where it works itself in!) got the outline done on Design Day as opposed to 2 weeks later when I had actually scheduled Tattoo Day... that's me living on the edge. I got a phoenix on my back.  I told Mr. Tattoo Man that I wanted a phoenix with its head up, wings out, ready to fly.  I wanted it to look strong, but beautiful - and it does, just like me.  Up from the ashes, ready to fly. Part of me loves the fact that looking at me, and even knowing me, one would never think I would have this gigantic bird on my back - make no mistake, it's freaking huge.  Part of me loves the fact that I was able to lay on a tattoo chair and have a stranger look at my bare back without being filled with shame and self-doubt.  Part of m

Out of the Darkess and into the Light

I haven't written in weeks… It hasn't been due to writer's block, but rather the fear of judgement.  I've had all these topics floating around in my head but have stopped myself from sharing because I didn't want to alienate anyone or make them feel uncomfortable.  Isn't that silly?  Silly but true.  Why are we so afraid to share our inner truths? I'm spending the week in a beautiful log home in northern Michigan with my family.  All the cousins are together and there is constant chatter and laughter.  The soundtrack of innocence and the essence of childhood.  They are unapologetically authentic and vulnerable. Where along the spectrum of maturing did we learn to let the fear of judgment lead us to hide those parts of ourselves that we deem shameful, or "bad"?  How did we develop a culture of perfection?  One that values the image we project over the authenticity and rawness of our humanity?   What if we celebrated our diversity beyond the colo

Broken Hearted

Last night some ghosts from the past rose up and it felt as if my heart was breaking all over again.  I was so sad. Over a year ago, I remember feeling ready to lay down some of that grief I had been carrying for so long.   Grace, time, healing and love had softened the edges of that grief and I was left with a gift.  Grief had turned into acceptance, forgiveness and peace.  And I realized what a treasure this grief had become.  So many lessons learned from that experience.  As scary as it was to sink into my grief and find my way through the sadness, I knew that somehow, this grief would always be a part of me. But last night I wasn't prepared for how quickly those old hurts could resurface.  The ache was so familiar and deep that for a moment I wondered if I had indeed experienced any healing over the past years.  It felt as if my heart was broken into a  million tiny pieces... and then I realized, my heart had broken into a million tiny pieces at one point.  The past 3 yea